CHINA - Summer 2019
- Experience China’s ancient history and culture through visits to the cities of Beijing and Shanghai
- Connect with students from Beijing Union University
- Walk the Great Wall of China
- Visit the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven and museums
- There is no language requirement. Your professor and guide will be with you to navigate while in China.
|CPO 2001||Comparative Politics||3.0|
|POS 2905||Individualized Study: Chinese Politics||1.0|
|ECON 2710||International Economics||3.0|
|MAN 4931||Management Seminar 2||1.0|
The program fee for the study abroad program to China typically will cover:
- Round-trip airfare from Florida to Beijing, China
- All in-country transportation
- All in-country accommodations
- Visa fee and processing
- Most meals
- Lecture, tours, museums, and other activity fees
- International Insurance
*Prices subject to change, pending approval
Estimated costs not included in the Program Fee:
|Tuition||$320.31*( 3 credit)|
|Visa||Included in Program Fee|
|Other meals (2 dinners)||$25|
|Immunizations||Several Suggested, none required|
|Personal Spending Money||$50|
*Please note: The estimated total cost is an approximation, and individuals will differ based on their selections.
Read through the Cancellation and Withdrawal Policy to understand payment expectations. This policy will accompany the Study Abroad Application form that you must fill out and sign to join a program.
The payments expected for the program will follow the calendar below.
|Payment Amount||Due Date|
|$130 (Non-Refundable Deposit and Application fee)||Due with Application|
|$500||November 16, 2018|
|$1,500||February 15, 2019|
|$500||March 8, 2019|
|$870||April 5, 2019|
How to Make a Payment:
To make a payment, go to the Cashier's Office in the Northwest Campus. The Cashier's Office accepts payments in cash, by check and by credit card. You can make your payments on the phone. More info here.
If you are not able to make a payment according to the dates assigned by Santa Fe College's International Education Office, it may still be possible for you to join the program; however you will likely incur increased costs.
Local Laws, Special Circumstances, Safety and Security
Click here to read about the local laws, safety and security in China as provided by the U.S. State Department. Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact the International Education Coordinator and/or the faculty leader(s) for your program.
Please click here to visit the Center for Disease Control website for immunization information and requirements for China.
Click here: Alachua County Department of Health, to access information about Foreign Travel.
Trip dates: May 24, 2019 – June 6, 2019
- Depart from Florida
- Arrive Beijing, China
- Move to Beijing Union University
- Walk through the surrounding areas
- Spend night in Beijing
- Listen to lectures on Chinese Folk art and Chinese Folk religions
- Discuss religion and philosophy, meeting with BUU student groups
- Visit Lama Temple, Guangfu Temple and local churches
- Walk the Great Wall, the Ming Tomb
- Spend night in Beijing
- Visit the Forbidden City, Ming Tomb
- Hutong Tour at Yandaixiejie and HouhaiSpend night in Beijing
- Introduction to the city of Beijing
- Capital Museum
- Spend night in Beijing
- Visit the Temple of Heaven and Hong Qiao market
- Laoshe Tea House
- Train to Shanghai
- Shanghai World Financial Center
- Visit French Concession, Propaganda Poster Art Center, Marriage Market, the Bund, Shanghai Museum
- Leave for Beijing
- Arrive in Beijing
- 798 Art District
- The Summer Palace Kun Ming Lake
- Chinese calligraphy
- Visit a Chinese company
- Beihai Park and Jinhshan Park
- Closing ceremony and farewell lunch
- Depart for Florida
In order to apply for this Study Abroad program and for all Santa Fe College Study Abroad Scholarships please complete this online application. (Note that you will have to create an account. Do not try to log in with your Santa Fe credentials).
Professor Forshee holds an M.A. and Ph.D in Political Science from the University of Florida. Her teaching at Santa Fe College includes Comparative Politics, International Relations, Political Theory and the United Nations. She is also the faculty adviser for Santa Fe College's Model UN team. She has co-led the study abroad China program in 2015 and 2017 and a 2018 study abroad program to Jamaica.
Professor Searcy holds a Ph.D.in Food and Resource
Economics with a focus in International Trade. Professor Searcy teaches courses such as Microeconomics, International Economics, and Managerial Economics in a Global Economy. He has led the study abroad China program many times, where he has interacted with BUU students and faculty members.
This program is pending approval. All figures are subject to change. For more information, contact the International Education Coordinator.
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2019||04/01/2019 **||Rolling Admission||05/24/2019||06/06/2019|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.